Jonathan W. Shearin, M.D.
Centers of Excellence:
As a double-board-certified orthopedic surgeon with fellowship training in hand and upper extremity surgery, Dr. Jonathan Shearin has extensive expertise in the full spectrum of treatment for disorders of the hand, elbow, and wrist. Dedicated to making a difference in his patients’ lives, Dr. Shearin offers the latest surgical and nonsurgical treatments, such as carpal tunnel and trigger finger release, microscopic nerve repair, injections, basal joint replacement, hand and wrist arthroscopy, injections of XIAFLEX® for Dupuytren’s disease, treatment for arthritis of the hand and wrist, and breakthrough wide-awake hand surgery.
After graduating from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., with Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees, Dr. Shearin attended the Georgetown University School of Medicine to earn his medical degree. He went on to complete the orthopedic surgery residency program at Lenox Hill Hospital through Northwell Health in New York City, where he was selected as administrative chief resident his final year. He then pursued additional specialty training in hand and upper extremity surgery and completed a year-long fellowship through Rothman Orthopaedic Institute at Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Dr. Shearin is board-certified in orthopedic surgery and holds a Subspecialty Certificate in Orthopaedic Surgery of the Hand through the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery. He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American Society for Surgery of the Hand. Additionally, Dr. Shearin previously served as the team physician of Elmira College Athletics for several years.
Dr. Shearin strives to ensure all his patients have a thorough understanding of their ailment. He always uses conservative treatments before pursuing the option of surgery. Dr. Shearin practices a shared decision-making model—he works with his patients as a team to develop a treatment plan.
In addition to caring for patients at Tri-County Orthopedics, Dr. Shearin enjoys playing basketball, squash, and golf. Dr. Shearin also enjoys publishing, teaching, and lecturing on hand, wrist, and elbow injuries and surgical techniques, and he has been involved in orthopedic and hand surgery research throughout his career, having published many peer-reviewed scientific papers as well as authoring book chapters. He has presented his work at regional and national scientific meetings. He is a consultant journal reviewer for HAND, an internationally peer reviewed journal.
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery of the Hand
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Master of Science in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology: Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Doctor of Medicine: Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, D.C.
- Internship: Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- Hand and Upper Extremity Fellowship: Rothman Orthopaedic Institute at Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- “Dr. Shearin did a nice job in taking care of me.”– John L.Patient Rating:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Shearin, JW, Walters B, Yang, SY. “Flexor Carpi Radialis to Palmaris Longus Tendon Transfer for Spontaneous Rupture of the FCR tendon–A Review Of An Uncommon Finding and a Surgical Technique for Operative Correction.” Journal of Hand Surgery (Asian-Pacific Volume) 2016, 21:03, 417-421.
- Shearin, JW, Ilyas, A. “Ulnar Nerve Management with Distal Humerus Fracture Fixation.” Hand Clinics 2018, 34:1, 97-103.
- Shearin, JW, Wang, M. “Surgical Management of a Digital Fibroma of the Flexor Sheath with Dermatocutaneous Involvement–A Case Report.” Submitted for publication.
- Alaia, MJ, Shearin, JW, Lee, SJ. “Restoring Isometry in Lateral Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction.” Journal of Hand Surgery, July 2015, 40:7, 1421-1427.
- Tulipan JE, Kachooei AR, Braun Y, Shearin JW, Rivlin M. “Ultrasound Evaluation for Incomplete Carpal Tunnel Release.” Accepted for publication, HAND.
- Feghi D, Shearin JW, and Bharam S. “Outcomes After Arthroscopic Management of Subspinous Impingement in Borderline Hip Dysplasia.” Submitted for publication.
- Jimenez, ML, Kachooei, A; Hioe, S; Shearin, JW, Jones, CJ; Rivlin, M. “Single Bundle vs. Double Bundle (Anatomical) Reconstruction of the Thumb Ulnar Collateral Ligament–A Biomechanical Study.” HAND(N.Y.) 2017 Dec 1.
- Miller A, Lutsky K, Shearin, JW, Cantlon M, Wolfe S, Beredjiklian P. “Radiographic Patterns of Radiocarpal and Midcarpal Arthritis.” JAAOS Glob Res Rev 2017; 1:e017.
- Kwan S, Shearin JW. “A Case Report of an Unusual Foreign Object Attached to an Infant’s Finger–Surgical Technique and Intervention.” Accepted for publication, Pediatric Emergency Care, May 2018.