Ian W. Wendel, D.O.
As a nonoperative sports medicine and interventional spine specialist, Dr. Wendel treats a broad range of musculoskeletal conditions ranging from head to toe, including neck and back pain, ankle and shoulder injuries, as well as various disorders affecting athletes.
After attending Binghamton University for his undergraduate degree, he earned his medical degree from Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM). He completed his residency at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation and Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, where he served as academic chief resident. He then went on to complete an ACGME-accredited sports medicine and interventional spine fellowship at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York City. He is board-certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation and sports medicine and has received his RMSK certification in musculoskeletal diagnostic ultrasound.
Dr. Wendel is an expert diagnostician and utilizes in-office electrodiagnostics (EMG/NCS) and diagnostic ultrasound when necessary in addition to standard diagnostic tests. To help with pain relief and to aid patients in the recovery process, he uses a wide variety of treatment options, such as therapeutic exercise, natural supplements, medications, bracing, and injections. He performs most peripheral injections with the use of ultrasound guidance and uses fluoroscopy (X-ray) for spine injections to assist in the precise placement of medication for improved safety and efficacy. When appropriate and necessary, Dr. Wendel will refer for surgical consultation.
Dr. Wendel has experience covering a broad range of sporting events, including high school and college football games, the New York City Ironman and other triathlons, and running events. He has served as a medical tent captain for the New York City Marathon on multiple occasions, and he also sits on the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board and serves as a ringside physician for amateur and professional mixed martial arts and boxing events in the state. He enjoys teaching and is a clinical assistant professor at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School. Furthermore, he understands the athlete, as he is an athlete himself. He played Division I college soccer at Binghamton University and still remains involved in the sport, while he also competes regularly in triathlons and running events.
Dr. Wendel has presented, lectured, and published on topics including musculoskeletal and spine-related conditions, sports medicine, ultrasound, and exercise. He has been published in peer-reviewed journals, including Pain Physician, PM&R, and American Journal of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, and he also wrote a book chapter titled “Hip Osteoarthritis.” He has lectured at national meetings, including the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Meeting and the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Annual Assembly. Additionally, Dr. Wendel co-authored a go-to manual for at-home rehabilitation from orthopedic and sports-related injuries titled Home Exercise Programs for Musculoskeletal and Sports Injuries: The Evidence-Based Guide for Practitioners. Linked below, this book offers insight and easy-to-follow guidance to help patients successfully recover.
- Board Certification: American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Subspecialty Certification in Sports Medicine
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biology: Binghamton University, Binghamton, NY
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Erie, PA
- Traditional Rotating Internship: CarePoint Health Christ Hospital, Jersey City, NJ
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency: Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation/Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, West Orange/Newark, NJ
- Sports Medicine and Interventional Spine Fellowship: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, NY
- Morristown Medical Center
- Newton Medical Center
- Saint Clare’s Health
- “He was very polite, courteous, and patient. I didn't feel forced to make any decisions. I would gladly recommend him to any of friends or family members. ”– Ruza D.Patient Rating:
- American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- New Jersey Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation