Michael I. Goldberger, M.D.
Michael Goldberger, M.D., is an orthopedic surgeon specializing in the care of foot and ankle disorders, including sports-related injuries and arthritic conditions. He has served as Director of the Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Service Line at Morristown Medical Center and at Tri-County Orthopedics since 1998.
He is a native of West Orange, New Jersey. After graduating from Emory University, Dr. Goldberger received his medical degree from Jefferson Medical College with honors in orthopedics. Upon completing his orthopedic surgery residency, Dr. Goldberger spent a year fellowship training in foot and ankle surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Goldberger's expertise is in caring for sports and traumatic injuries of the foot and ankle. This includes sprains, fractures, and ligament, tendon, and cartilage injuries. He has lectured nationally on innovative techniques in minimally invasive treatment of Achilles tendon disorders. He has extensive experience in arthroscopy of the ankle. He has expertise in the treatment of hallux valgus with an emphasis on modern 3-D reconstructions and minimally invasive bunion correction. In addition, he has over 20 years of experience in the treatment of ankle arthritis with total ankle replacements. Dr. Goldberger treats dance injuries and continues to assist local high school and collegiate athletic trainers in the care of their student-athletes. Most importantly, Dr. Goldberger believes that it is paramount to listen to each patient's concerns. Together with each patient, he will develop an individual treatment plan that will allow return to health.
Since 2006, Dr. Goldberger has led a team of healthcare professionals to service homeless communities with medical care and footwear each Thanksgiving. He is the former vice president of the New Jersey chapter of the Arthritis Foundation Board of Directors. He was also voted a 2023 Jersey Choice Top Doctor in New Jersey Monthly based on a survey of more than 26,000 New Jersey doctors voting for their peers.
In his free time, Dr. Goldberger enjoys spending time with his family as well as biking and fitness; he is also an avid sports fan. Through years of playing competitive basketball, he has gained a keen understanding of the psyche of high-caliber athletes and weekend warriors alike. He has followed his passion for music by learning how to play acoustic and electric guitar.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in Biology: Emory University, Atlanta, GA
- Doctor of Medicine: Thomas Jefferson University – Jefferson Medical College, Louisville, KY
- General Surgery Internship: North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY
- Foot and Ankle Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Morristown Medical Center
- “We cannot say enough about the care and attention Dr. Goldberger provided. He was thorough and patient with us as we decided what path to follow for our daughter. Surgery was completed as he had planned and recovery is underway. ”– Jill S.Patient Rating: