Andrew A. Willis, M.D.
Centers of Excellence:
Dr. Andrew Willis is a sports medicine surgeon specializing in athletic injuries and disorders of the shoulder, knee, elbow, wrist, and hand at the Sports Medicine Center and the Hand & Upper Extremity Center at Tri-County Orthopedics. Dr. Willis is dual-fellowship-trained and holds a subspecialty certificate of added qualifications in shoulder, knee, and hand surgery.
Dr. Willis attended Dartmouth College as an undergraduate, where he received his degree in biology and graduated cum laude. While at Dartmouth, Dr. Willis was a member of three consecutive Ivy League championship football teams in addition to playing varsity lacrosse. Dr. Willis received his medical degree with honors (Alpha Omega Alpha) from Columbia University and completed his residency in orthopedic surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery (Cornell Medical Center, New York City). Following, Dr. Willis completed a fellowship in hand, elbow, and upper extremity surgery at the Mayo Clinic. He also completed a second fellowship in shoulder, knee, and sports medicine surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery, where he trained under the team doctors for the New York Giants and New York Mets.
Dr. Willis is the author of numerous peer-reviewed original research articles as well as book chapters on sports medicine topics ranging from ACL and meniscal injuries in adolescents to Tommy John surgery in throwing athletes. His research has been published in top peer-reviewed journals and also includes original work in the field of distal radius, flexor tendon, and distal radioulnar joint surgery. As the recipient of the prestigious Charles S. Neer II Award, his research contributions in the field of shoulder surgery have been recognized and honored both nationally and internationally by the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons society.
Dr. Willis specializes in advanced arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery, ligament reconstruction, and cartilage restoration procedures as well as fracture care, tendon repair, and upper extremity joint replacement. Additionally, Dr. Willis currently serves as the associate team orthopedic surgeon for the New York Jets and is the head team physician for Drew University in Madison, New Jersey, and the Delbarton School in Morristown, New Jersey.
Dr. Willis has been a member of Tri-County Orthopedics since 2004, where he currently serves as the director of Sports Medicine Research and Fellowship Education. He serves on staff at Morristown Memorial Hospital in Morristown, New Jersey, where he is the chair of Medical Education for Atlantic Sports Health. Dr. Willis is also on faculty at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City as a member of the Sports Medicine Fellowship teaching staff.
Dr. Willis has been honored three times as one of America's Top Orthopedists by the Consumers Research Council of America, and he was named a Castle Connolly Top Doctor for the New York metro area two times, most recently in 2020. He has been selected as one of New Jersey's favorite doctors by his patients, who selected him for the Patient's Choice Award 2008 and 2009 as determined by uniformly outstanding patient reviews. He has also been recognized as one of America's Most Honored Doctors by The American Registry. Additionally, Dr. Willis has been named a Favorite Kids' Doc in New Jersey Family magazine four times: 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019. He is a member in good standing of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the American Society for Surgery of the Hand.
- Recognized as New Jersey's Top Surgeons: 2013
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor in Orthopaedic Surgery: 2015, 2016, 2019, 2020
- Inside Jersey Top Doctor: 2016
- NJ’s Favorite Kids’ Docs: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- America's Most Honored Doctors by The American Registry: 2020
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts: Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- Doctor of Medicine: Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, NY
- General Surgery Internship: NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
- Hand, Microvascular, and Upper Extremity Surgery Fellowship: Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Congenital Hand Surgery Fellowship: Scottish Rite for Children, Dallas, TX
- Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery Fellowship: Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, NY
- Morristown Medical Center
- Lenox Hill Hospital
- Morristown Medical Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Surgical Center at Cedar Knolls, LLC
- “Excellent. My first time at the office and wow!”– Elizabeth M.Patient Rating:
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Morris County Medical Society
- National Football League Physicians Society
- Drew University
- Delbarton School