Edward M. Decter, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Edward Decter specializes in the treatment of sports-related injuries and conditions as well as injuries and conditions of knee and shoulder at Tri-County Orthopedics. He also has special interest in performing reconstructive surgeries of the knee and shoulder. Dr. Decter joined Tri-County Orthopedics in February 2015.
Dr. Decter earned his medical degree from Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha, Nebraska. He then completed his internship in general surgery at Temple University School of Medicine in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after which he underwent residency training in orthopedic surgery at the Hospital for Joint Diseases Orthopaedic Institute in New York, New York.
Board-certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, Dr. Decter is affiliated with a number of New Jersey healthcare centers, St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston, and continues to serve as medical director at Short Hills Surgery Center in Millburn.
Among many other prestigious societies and affiliations, Dr. Decter is a member of the American Academy of Sports Medicine, the American College of Surgeons, American College of Sports Medicine, and the Arthroscopy Association of North America. He was inspired to become an orthopedic surgeon by his own experience as a high school and college athlete. He was formerly the head team physician for major league soccer teams the Metro Stars and Red Bulls as well as professional indoor soccer team the Iron Men. Dr. Decter also served as the team physician for the Gladiators, the professional indoor football team, and currently serves as the team doctor for the United States Men’s Under-20 National Soccer Team.
Now practicing over 34 years, Dr. Decter’s biggest satisfaction is getting the player back in the game or getting his patients to their pre-injury status.
Dr. Decter says that developing interpersonal relationships with his patients and improving their physical conditions is what he finds most rewarding about his chosen field.
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science: University of Maryland, College Park, MD
- Doctor of Medicine: Creighton University School of Medicine, Omaha, NE
- General Surgery Internship: Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, New York, NY
- Saint Barnabas Medical Center
- Short Hills Surgery Center
- “Dr. Decter and his assistant Nancy were attentive and wonderful ”– Gaty K.Patient Rating:
- Academy of Medicine of New Jersey
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North American
- Essex County Medical Society
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
- New Jersey Chapter of the American College of Surgeons
- New Jersey Orthopaedic Society