David S. Klein, D.O.
As a fellowship-trained sports medicine doctor and general orthopedic surgeon, Dr. David Klein specializes in all phases of musculoskeletal repair and reconstruction—from fracture care and ligament reconstruction to joint replacement and revision. Dr. Klein offers specialized treatment for a wide range of patients, including athletes with sports-related injuries and older adults whose mobility is limited by severe joint pain from arthritis.
After earning his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from the Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in New York, New York, Dr. Klein completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the Jersey City Medical Center in Jersey City, New Jersey. He served as the academic chief resident his final year of residency before returning to New York to gain further training in orthopedic sports medicine through a year-long fellowship at NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital.
In his practice, Dr. Klein takes an individualized approach with each patient. He gives each patient the time and care they deserve when deciding on surgical treatment, using conservative management whenever possible. He strives to help his patients feel comfortable and secure in driving the decision-making process for the best course of treatment. He works closely with his patients in developing the treatment plan they need to reach their goals.
Dr. Klein is an active member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the American Osteopathic Association, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and AOTrauma North America. He has published and lectured extensively at local and national meetings on topics of surgical and nonsurgical treatment in sports medicine, fractures, and arthritis. Additionally, Dr. Klein is a teaching faculty member for Saint Clare’s Health and frequently provides sports team coverage. He serves as the team doctor for the Passaic-Clifton cycling team, and he also provides orthopedic coverage for Chai Lifeline’s Bike4Chai annual charity bike ride sponsored by Tri-County Orthopedics.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Klein spends his time with his wife and three children. He also keeps an active lifestyle, engaging in activities like road cycling and swimming.
Education & Training
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine: Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York, NY
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Jersey City Medical Center, Jersey City, NJ
- Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellowship: NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital, New York, NY
- Morristown Medical Center
- Saint Claire’s Denville Hospital
- NYU Langone Orthopedic Hospital
Lectures & Teaching
- Orthopedics for the Primary Care Provider Grand Rounds Presentation. Saint Clare’s Health NJ/UC Irvine Department of Medicine Grand Rounds Lecture Series. December 22, 2020. 1-CME.
- AO Techniques and Strain Theory of Fracture Healing. Saint Clare’s Health NJ/University of California Irvine Virtual Lecture Series. September 14, 2020.
- Joint Preservation in the Young Active Patient. Cartilage Transplantation and HTO. Atlantic Health CME Webinar Series. Summer 2020.
- Patellofemoral Instability Case Conference. Pathomechanics and Treatment Options. Tri-County Orthopedics Monthly Lecture Series. Fall 2019.
- Making the Match: How to Successfully Match Into an Orthopedic Residency. Primer on X-Ray Reading in Orthopedics.
Invited Lecture, Tourocom, Harlem. 2019.
Invited Lecture, Tourocom, Harlem. 2018.
- “Superior Capsular Reconstruction, What Are the Data?” Annual Chief Resident Grand Rounds, Jersey City Medical Center. June 7, 2018. Klein, D. 1 CME.
- “Controversies in Total Hip Arthroplasty: The Anterior Approach.” Jersey City Medical Center. February 22, 2018. Klein, D. and Yoon, RY. 1 CME.
- Part 2: “The Patella: A Small Bone With Big Problems.” Jersey City Medical Center. August 17, 2017. Klein, D and Gonzales- Lomas, G. 1 CME.
- Part 1: “The Patella: A Small Bone With Big Problems.” Jersey City Medical Center. June 22, 2017. Klein, D and Urquhart, M. 1 CME.
- “IM Nailing: History, Biomechanics, Indications.” Jersey City Medical Center. September 3, 2015. Klein, D and Liporace FA. 1 CME.
- “IM Nailing of the Lower Extremity: Tips, Tricks, and Staying Out of Trouble.” Sawbones IM Nail Start Point and Blocking Screw Demonstration Workshop. Jersey City Medical Center. September 1, 2015. Klein, D and Rao, J. 1 CME.
- “ACL Injuries-Where We Have Come and Where We Are Going in Our Understanding of Treatment Modalities.” Jersey City Medical Center. August 13, 2015. Gonzales-Lomas, G and Klein, D. 1 CME.
- Update: “Shoulder Dislocations - Ligamentous and Bony Contributions: Patient Factors, the Recurrent Dislocator, Treatment Options.” Jersey City Medical Center. July 9, 2015. Klein, D and Gonzales-Lomas G. 1 CME.
- “Knee Dislocation: Diagnosis and Current Management Strategies.” Jersey City Medical Center. February 26, 2015 Gonzales-Lomas, G and Klein, D. 1 CME.
- “The Soft Tissue Reconstructive Ladder – Part 1: Definitions, Skin Grafts, Tissue Substitutes, Local Flaps.” Jersey City Medical Center. February 12, 2015. Capo, J Klein, D. 1 CME.
- “Acetabular Bone Loss and Pelvic Discontinuity in Total Hip Revision.” Jersey City Medical Center. August 28, 2014 Klein, D and Liporace, FA. 1 CME.
- “Periprosthetic Femur Fracture Diagnosis, Treatment and Case Presentation.” Jersey City Medical Center. August 7, 2014 Liporace, FA, and Klein, D. 1 CME.
- “Shoulder Dislocations - Ligamentous and Bony Contributions: Patient Factors, the Recurrent Dislocator, Treatment Options.” Jersey City Medical Center. July 17, 2014. Gonzales-Lomas G, and Klein, D. 1 CME.
- “Excellent provider. Personable with a unique bedside manner explains everything he’s doing or will be doing, thoughtful, caring, and highly skilled. ”– Anthony A.Patient Rating:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AO Trauma North America